The White Plains Public Library is a dynamic, civic resource. Its mission is to enable all members of our community to engage in lifelong learning, find inspiration and build citizenship by providing:
- free and open access to recorded knowledge,
- personal guidance in its use, and
- diverse opportunities for cultural exchange and exploration of ideas.
Through the planning and action of the staff and Trustees, the Library will:
- play a vigorous role in the life of the City by serving as a center for informational, educational, cultural and recreational enrichment;
- encourage full public use of the total range of library services;
- through hours of service and other means of service delivery, provide the greatest possible public access;
- employ qualified, skilled and resourceful personnel able to make the services of the Library responsive to the needs of the citizenry;
- offer an up-to-date collection of books, magazines other print and non-book materials and online resources that are carefully selected, systematically arranged, and aggressively promoted;
- carry out its program of services in a comfortable, attractive, and safe Library building and grounds.
Adopted by Library Board of Trustees 3/15/05