We’re excited that the Library has reopened. This is an important milestone as we work towards re-establishing full library services.
Right now, the Library is open for you to browse, borrow, and enjoy our wonderful collection.
To implement state and federal guidelines, and support the Library’s COVID-19 Best Practices Policy, only a limited number of patrons can access the Library at a time.
We have taken many steps to modify the Library facility in response to evolving best practices. We also have introduced a rigorous cleaning program, and will reserve times throughout the day to close and clean.
Here’s How it Works
- Access to the Library’s first floor collections—including all adult and teen materials—is on a first come, first served basis. Our capacity is 20 individuals. Once we reach capacity, please wait outside the building, six feet apart, for patrons to leave. You must have a card from a Westchester Library System member library to enter.
- If you want to visit the Trove, call (914) 422-1476 or visit our online reservation system here and schedule an appointment. You must have a White Plains library card to book a Trove visit. Trove visits will be for one family—no more than four individuals—at a time. One appointment a week.
- All visits are for 45 minutes or less.
- The Library is open Monday through Thursday, 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Friday and Saturday, 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. No new visitors will be admitted after 6:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 4:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- If you are two and older, wear a face mask at all times. Observe social distancing. Adhere to the Library’s COVID-19 Best Practices Policy. Follow the directions of Library staff. If you aren’t feeling well, stay home.
- For browsing, use the gloves we provide. We also have plenty of hand sanitizer stationed throughout the building.
- Return all material through the book drops to the left of the Library entrance.
- Following recommendations from the Center for Disease Control and the Institute of Museum and Library Services, all returned material is quarantined for 96 hours before it is checked in. Expect a delay before items are deleted from your account.
- Borrow all material through the self-check machines located in the Lobby.
- The elevator is for one user, or one family, at a time.
- Continue to use our virtual services when possible. Call, email, and text us with reference or account questions.
What to Expect
- There is no seating in the building.
- Computers, copiers, and printers are not available, and there are no games or toys in the Trove.
- Bathrooms are for one visitor at a time.
- Water fountains are unavailable per the New York State Department of Public Health.
- Our Hot Spot and Museum pass programs are suspended, and the café is closed until further notice.
- All programs will continue on Zoom through December, 2020. Consult our online calendar for events.
What about Curbside Pickup?
- We are no longer offering Curbside Pickup. Instead, we have implemented our holds system, which means we can borrow material from other libraries.
- Please help us out and review your account. If there are holds you no longer want, delete them. Because of the system-wide closure, there are thousands and thousands of holds pending.
- Remember, the fastest way to get a book may well be to borrow an eBook. For help in using eBooks, schedule an appointment online or give us a call at (914) 422-1400.
- We will continue to monitor information from the State, County, and Westchester Library System, and respond accordingly.
- The Library looks forward to gradually reintroducing services over the weeks ahead. Direction for our reopening can be found in the document Library Building Reopening, a Phased Response.
Our thanks go to the White Plains community for your patience and support over the past four months.
Please contact me with any questions.