The City of White Plains Building Department is fast-tracking the permit approval process for homeowners and businesses who come in for a permit to address storm-related damage. Residents and businesses that have work done should make sure they receive a City of White Plains Building Department Certificate of Compliance upon completion of the work. Without this certificate, there is no way for the resident or business to know for certain that the work was completed properly and to code. The Building Department is available to answer questions about the permit process for electrical, plumbing, building and sign permits, Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Please call (914) 422-1269.
General tips for homeowners when dealing with home improvement contractors:
– Be wary of home improvement contractors who may suddenly appear in the neighborhood in the coming days and weeks.
– Call your insurance company as soon as you can. Many insurance companies have existing relationships with home repair contractors.
– Avoid contractors who demand payment in cash or want more than one-third of the total payment before work has begun.
– Get everything in writing including the scope of work, start date, completion date, cancellation clause, warranty information and a schedule of payments.
– Get at least three estimates. A higher bid may be worth it if the contractor is the most experienced, uses better materials and keeps to a timeline.
– Make sure that the electrical and plumbing contractors are licensed by the County of Westchester.
– Make sure all contractors are insured.
The Westchester County Consumer Department offers valuable information on their website for homeowners who are looking to engage a home improvement contractor.