About Our Public Computer Areas
To assure fair and equal access to our computerized resources, the Library uses an automated PC reservation system. To reserve a computer, you will need a White Plains Public Library or Westchester Library System card. Click here for more information about acquiring a library card.
Patrons with Library cards may use public computers up to 90 minutes each day. Patrons who reside outside of Westchester County, or who reside in Westchester County but do not have a Library card, may request a one-time, 90 minute computer guest pass by presenting proper ID at the Periodicals Desk. There is no charge to use Library computers. All PCs shut down 10 minutes before closing.
Services Available on Hub Computers
- Multi-language options per machine
- Microsoft Office 2007 ( Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, FrontPage, Publisher)
- Internet access, including online resources
- Typing training software
- Printouts are $.15 per page for black & white, $.50 for color.
Wireless Internet access is available at the White Plains Public Library (see "Other Wireless Libraries in Westchester" for more libraries offering wireless access). We invite you to explore our high speed internet access using your own wireless-enabled laptop or PDA.
In order to connect, your laptop or mobile device must have wifi capability. Access is available from within most of the Library and outside from much of the Library Plaza. Wireless users agree to abide by the Library's Computers & Internet Public Use policy. A copy of these policies can be found at the Library's Reference Desk.
Wireless Network Security
Although the Library's wireless network utilizes encryption for transmitted data, communications over a public wireless network should not be considered as secure. If your laptop or mobile device isn't secured through the use of a firewall and antivirus software, it would be at risk of being accessed by a hacker. When using any public wireless connection, it is strongly recommended that you DISABLE file sharing or print sharing to aid in preventing unauthorized access to your computer.
The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment or for laptop configurations, security, or data files resulting from connection to the Library's network.
For your own protection and privacy, you are advised to have a firewall and antivirus software running and up to date when accessing the Internet.
Wireless Network Scope and Limitations
- The Library's wireless network is always available from within the Library while we are open to the public, and is also available outside the Library from much of the Library Plaza from 5am until 10pm, seven days a week.
- Library wireless network allows unlimited web browsing, including web-based email and chat sites and streaming media.
- The Library's wireless network does not allow for outbound email access using SMTP. Please use a web-based email service if you wish to send and receive email.
- The Library's wireless network does not allow for Telnet, SSH, FTP, VPNs and other services beyond web access.
- The Library's wireless network is bandwidth-limited to ensure equitable access for all wireless users.
Library staff can only provide limited technical assistance with your laptop or other wireless equipment and cannot guarantee you will be able to make a wireless connection. Staff will be happy to help you find web sites that can offer you assistance in connecting to the wireless network but cannot accept the liability of handling your equipment.