By Kristen Thornton-De Stafeno, Marketing & Adult Services Librarian (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Want to become a photographer? Graphic Designer? Guitarist? Well, the possibilities are endless with Lynda.com. A White Plains library card is necessary to get started; login with your card number and pin in order to access the links below.
Lynda.com is great for learning a new skillset, brushing up on the latest version of software you're already familiar with, or even taking steps to start a new career. Below I explore some of the different learning paths, stand alone tutorials, and tips to make the most of your free Lynda.com membership.
Learning Paths: Lynda.com has a wide variety of learning paths. Compare these to a college course as it's made up of multiple tutorials and lessons to help you practice the skills you're learning. They even have some that offer certifications. You can simply browse the available learning paths under the “Library” tab in the upper left corner, or search for a topic you're interested in and to see what's available.
- Become a Motion Graphics Artist: Already have some experience with graphic design? Take your skills to the next level with this learning path. Find out what's involved in getting started, learn animation fundamentals, and practice exercises in After Effects and Cinema 4D.
- Become a Photographer: Learn about photography from experts like Pulitzer finalist Natalie Forbes. Start with core concepts before learning about different lenses, exposure, lighting (natural, studio lights and flash), and then explore software such as Lightroom and Photoshop.
- Become a Content Marketer: This shorter learning path includes podcasting tutorials, information on blogging and newsletters, and a course on viral marketing.
- Become a Songwriter: With the songwriting learning path, you'll learn music theory, the business of songwriting, music law and copyrighting a song, and how to use different songwriting software such as Logic Pro. And if you're interested in learning how to play an instrument, explore the courses for guitar, drums, or piano and keyboard.
Software & App Tutorials: Lynda.com has a plethora of software tutorials. Either do a quick search on something you're looking for or browse by topic area to discover what experts in your field of interest should be familiar with.
- Instagram: Learn the basics or take deeper dives into advertising and live streaming.
- Blackboard: Are you new to teaching or learning on Blackboard? Lynda.com has you covered with essential trainings for instructors and students.
- Open Source: Tutorials on Apache Flink, Linux, Python, and more.
Weekly Series: Great for staying up-to-date on what's new in your field, Lynda.com's weekly series are available under each topic area. Keep up with these short weekly videos, or watch them back-to-back as an all-in-one course.
- Monday Productivity Pointers
- Mobile Photography Weekly
- DIY Filmmaking Tips Weekly
- Digital Marketing Trends
- Real Recording School Weekly
- Raspberry PI Weekly
Documentaries: Find select documentaries under each topic area.
- Yo Santosa, Branding Expert
- Bracketology Club: Using March Madness to Learn Data Science
- The Creative Spark: Nick Onken, Travel and Lifestyle Photographer
- Jeffrey Zeldman: 20 years of Web Design and Community
Have you learned something new or are you currently exploring a new skill with Lynda.com? Share with us below!