As parents, one of our most difficult responsibilities is talking to our children about certain challenging topics. Books are a fantastic way to stimulate these types of discussions and help teach our children valuable life lessons. We've recently reorganized and refreshed our parenting collection. Now, these books are even easier to find!
Our parenting collection is now located near our non-fiction collection, behind our reference desk. It is divided into two sections: one with books meant for you to read as parents, and one with books for children and parents to read together.
Books for parents are shelved as they always were, in order by the Dewey Decimal system. Topics cover a wide variety of aspects involved in raising children: pregnancy and birth, feeding, sleep, special needs, homeschooling, etc. Any librarian can help you find what you need.
The biggest change you’ll notice is in the section for children to read with their parents. Books are now organized by category, so you can more easily find relevant books for any given issue. Are you tackling the dreaded potty? We have a section for that. New baby coming? We’ve got you covered.
Find books on the following topics:
- Brain & Body: Books having to do with neurodiversity, the physical body, and mindfulness
- COVID: Resources for dealing with COVID stressors, and practicing mask-wearing
- Family Illness: Books to help when family members have illnesses (mental or physical)
- Family Types: Stories about all different types of families, including adoptive, LGBTQ+, divorced, donor conceived, etc.
- Feelings: Resources for dealing with different feelings and emotions
- Grief: Resources on dealing with the death of a loved one or pet
- Maturing: Books about growing up, including getting rid of binkies, blankies, etc.
- New Baby: Resources on pregnancy, infants, and sibling relationships
- New Places: Books about moving and going to places like a new school
- Potty: Books for successful potty training
- Safety: Resources on safety, dealing with tragedy, and protecting one’s own body
- Socialization: Books about getting along with others, listening, using good manners, problems with bullying, and other social topics