The Board of Trustees of the White Plains Public Library is committed to ensuring that the Library maintains an atmosphere conducive to the enjoyment of Library facilities for all of its patrons. The Board is authorized to establish rules and regulations for the protection of Library facilities, resources, patrons, and staff. The Library Director is authorized by the Board to interpret and enforce these rules and regulations in the best interest of the citizens of the City of White Plains(1) and all of its patrons.
The following rules comprise the Library’s Code of Conduct and are applicable to all Library patrons. Patrons are expected to:
- Behave in a lawful manner.
- Respect others’ use and enjoyment of the Library. Refrain from swearing, talking loudly, fighting, or playing in the Library.
- Communicate in a civil manner to staff and other patrons. Bullying, including using unwanted nicknames, is unacceptable.
- Treat others, including Library staff, respectfully. Sexual harassment, including inappropriate touching, will not be tolerated.
- Maintain clear access to aisles, stairways, walkways and seating.
- Be fully attired. Footwear must be worn at all times and undergarments need to be covered.
- Remain awake.
- Refrain from smoking or use of smokeless tobacco products.
- Mute the ringer on your cell phone; loud or extended conversations should be restricted to the lobby. Use headphones when listening to audio content.
- Refrain from soliciting, distributing or posting materials.
- Eat only in designated areas. Beverages must be covered and disposed of properly.
- Get advance permission from the Library Director before taking video or photos.
- Take reasonable care of Library property.
- Refrain from skateboarding, skating, bicycling, etc. in the Library or on the Library plaza.
- Be responsible and vigilant in securing personal belongings.
- Bring only service animals into the Library.
The above Code of Conduct is not intended to be a complete list of expected behavior. The Library Board, the Library Director and Library staff reserve the right to take appropriate action against any other behavior which can reasonably be deemed to be offensive or disturbing to Library patrons or staff, including expulsion from the building and the loss of library privileges.(2) Any person banned from the Library may request a hearing from the Library Director or designee thereof.
The primary responsibility for insuring compliance with this Code of Conduct rests with the Library staff. Library visitors are expected to cooperate with Library staff and security personnel. Library staff is authorized to contact the White Plains Police Department, if necessary.
Revised and adopted by the White Plains Library Board of Trustees on 2/4/15.
(1) Charter, City of White Plains, Article XI, Section 273
(2) New York State Education Law, Section 362
PDF Version: Code_of_Conduct.pdf