Summer Reading at the White Plains Public Library starts Monday, June 27 and will run through Friday, August 19. Logging reading over the summer will again be online this year via the READsquared platform through either the READsquared website or the READsquared app (available here: iOS and Android).
Find information on the great lineup of programs and events for kids, teens and families in July and August here.
Register and login to READsquared. Individual youth participants can register as themselves, or parents and caregivers can register all of their children at one time. This allows for the adult to also log reading and activities. Once registered, choose the appropriate option based on the grade the participant is entering in the Fall. NOTE: PreK will be using the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program to track summer reading. So, not only does this enter the child into raffles for summer reading, but gives them the opportunity to earn rewards as part of 1KB4K.
Then, start logging!
- For PreK: every booked logged counts towards the 1KB4K program and an entry towards the summer reading giveaway.
- For Grades K-6 and Grades 7-12: Every 1 minute of reading equals 1 points. 500 points completes the program and enters the participant into the prize raffle for their age group.
- Pre-K Summer Reading (1000 Books Before Kindergarten): Family fun gift basket with games, toys and activities.
- Grades K-6 Summer Reading: a back-to-school backpack for each grade, with school supplies and fun surprises.
- Teens Grades 7-12 Summer Reading: two charging backpacks with power block, and a card game – one each for Grades 7-9 and 9-12.
Need a Book Recommendation?
Books in our Suggested Reads by Grade Level collection features a great librarian-curated selection of diverse, inclusive, and downright awesome reads. These Reading Lists are what the school district uses, as well! Plus, find some class specific reading lists on this page.
Sora eBook Access!
White Plains students can access the wealth of eBooks available in Overdrive and Libby from the Library without a library card! They can do so via their school Sora account! Details on how to do this can be found here (Spanish).
More Than Just Reading
Summer is more than just reading, we know. It’s also about enjoying the wide variety of fun and educational programs the Library is known for. Check out our impressive lineup of programs and events all summer long. A special thanks to the White Plains Library Foundation for supporting these programs and Summer Reading in White Plains.
I need to register my son in summer reading, he is 11 years old and he is entering to the 6th grade
Kristen, Adult Librarian
Hi Leidy, if you haven’t registered previously, you can do so on the readsquared website here: https://wpplreadsny10.readsquared.com/. If you need further assistance, you can call us at (914) 422-1476.