Brian Kenney is named Library Director in 2011—the sixth in the Library’s 120-year history.
The Edge, “a vibrant space for youth,” opens in December 2013. The 2,000 square-foot space on the first floor includes a teen library with comfortable seating and a media lab for technology programs. The Edge is part of the library’s Phase One Renovations that also create a Welcome Center with self-checkout machines.
The Library’s café and the Hub open in May 2018, completing the library’s Phase Two Renovations. The Everyday Healthy Café sells coffee, tea and healthy fare. It is also the new location for the Friends of the Library used bookstore. The Hub features more computers for the public, a new community room, renovated classrooms, and a restored local history room.
Matters of Fact
- US population: 329 million
- White Plains population: 56,853
- US President: Donald J. Trump
- Mayor of White Plains: Thomas Roach
- Average income: $31,099 (2016)
- Average cost of:
New home: 393,700
New Ford Taurus: $27,800
1 Pound Bread: $1.57
Gallon of gas: $2.94
Gallon of milk: $3.60
- Movie – Green Book
- Best Seller – Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- TV Show – Game of Thrones
- Hit Tunes – Old Town Road, I Don’t Care, Bad Guy
You Can Look It Up
- After five years of construction, the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge replaces the Tappan Zee Bridge as the span connecting Westchester and Rockland Counties.
- Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report concludes that Russia worked to elect Donald Trump but finds insufficient evidence of coordination between Russia and the Trump campaign. The report does not conclude that President Trump obstructed justice but does not exonerate him either.
- 3.86 million babies were born in the United States in 2017.